Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

{Summer Reading List}


I buy books as a hobby. I love bookstores, used and new. Mostly used, I feel like those books have better history. I find it fun to enjoy a story that someone has traveled before me. Because I buy so many books I have a tendency to buy more instead of reading what I have on my shelf. I also tend to read several books at once. It really depends what I'm in the mood for. You too? This morning I picked a few out of my own library that I have been meaning to read but have not gotten to. The following made my summer reading list:

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.  I have heard good things about this book and since at one point in my life I worked at a fair I usually enjoy books that surround the curious events and people surrounding fairs of all kinds. I loved Night Circus for that reason. People say this one is a page turner.

Desiring God by John Piper. Stephanie and I are still working our way through this book. Not because it isn't amazing, but because it is rich. Reading this book quickly would feel like eating an entire cheesecake in one sitting. There is a lot to be digested. I have read several passages/sections more than once. I take notes, discuss it, break it down.

7: an experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker. I bought this book a few months ago, and honestly, I'm terrified to start it. I love shopping. I'm afraid to combat the excess in my life. But I'm also excited to be challenged by this book.

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. This was a book club book that I failed to read. I think this book interests me to see how someone goes about looking for happiness in the secular world. I keep thinking "she must find God", right? Down at the bottom of it all? We shall see. I'm guessing she doesn't find God, but starts a blog or pilates or something. I'll report back.

Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. I picked this up months and months ago at Barnes and Noble. This gal goes to Uganda and adopts 13 children. (I'm going to go ahead and guess she already found Jesus, in case you were wondering.)

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I basically have no clue what this book is about but everyone who has read it swears it's ah-maze-zing.

So there you have it! What made your summer reading list? I'd love suggestions!






1 comment:

  1. You will LOVE 7. Andy and I have both read it and it is funny, and challenging and fantastic. Written much like her blog. I think it's right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete